Follow by Email

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sometimes We Forget

Family –

As you know, I coach football and work as chair of the Fit4Life Youth Foundation (when I’m not flooding your in-boxes with my incessant jargon). As I was going through my layers of social media applications; responding to messages and looking at pictures I stumbled across something that was pretty amazing. With that, I thought I would share it with you today…

No, I didn’t find a horse’s head in my bed this morning or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow… but it was something just as breath-taking.

Follow me here…

Any give season can present its share of grueling practices, intense workouts, hours of film study, game planning meetings, heated disagreements and physically, emotionally and mentally exhausting games. Through all of this both athlete and coach continue to forge ahead pushing themselves to the pinnacle of their very being. “Fighting for that inch,” as Al Pacino said in Any Given Sunday.

Coach McBride during a "Relentless" Workout
Sometimes as coaches we forget how important our role is in the lives of the young people we mentor. Year after year we touch young lives with the hope of teaching them something about the sport they love, while educating them about the bigger game of life.

However, on occasion, we receive a subtle reminder of how much our dedication and compassion means to the ones we coach. For me this realization came in the form of a message via Facebook® from one of my athletes through my Fit4Life program Relentless Sports.

As you read this short note try to think back to a coach who made an impact on your life in a positive way… to me this is one of the greatest victories in all of sport. In honesty, I couldn’t help but choke back the huge lump in my throat when I read it…

“Coach! It has been way too long since I have seen you! Literally till this day all I repeat in my mind is relentless, throughout my races when I have to dig deep relentless and your training program is what I think of. You are the most inspirational coach I have ever had and I can't thank you enough for what you had taught me. Thanks Coach!

My response:

You have no idea how much that means to me ****... I'm so proud of you! To see how far you've come and how many things you've accomplished... and it's only the very beginning! Keep working, stay focused and always remember to "Live Relentless!"
Coach Mac

For those of you who are coaches out there please keep in mind how much you mean to them. They ARE listening to you…even if they don’t always execute the way you want them to… they HEAR everything you say and WATCH everything you do!


God Bless Coaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment