Follow by Email

Monday, January 14, 2013

Sport is Life: Intro


Friends -

Welcome to 2013! I trust you all had a great Holiday Season with family and friends...now let's take the decorations down and get back to business!

As I sat down to write this blog post I was reminded of how much sport has done and continues to do in my life. Although I was lucky to come out of the small town of Chiefland, Florida and attend the University of Notre Dame, I’ve come to realize sport isn’t just about wins and loses…but rather Sport is Life.

Lemme ‘splain.

Most of us were lucky enough to participate in some type of sport in our youth or maybe had the great fortune of competing collegiately and professionally. As athletes we understood the necessity of certain character traits required for success in our chosen field of competition. Focus, Preparation, Discipline, and Tenacity are all essential components for success in athletics. Of course it doesn’t hurt to have the occasional freak athlete, right (ask Nick Saban)? 

But what happens when that freak athlete doesn’t have discipline or focus? What if they refuse to adequately prepare? I’m sure we could poll any number of coaches on every level and their answer would be the same. They would rather have the player who works hard, is disciplined, focused and tenacious; versus the freak athlete who’s simply loose a cannon.

The question I pose to you my friends is where is the difference in exercising the use of these same attributes in our daily lives? These same “ingredients” for success should follow us in our daily work plan. If any of these key ingredients are left out it would be like baking a cake without flour or sugar….probably wouldn’t taste so good would it? If any of these ingredients are left out in the workplace it creates a "recipe for disaster."

The objective this week is to open dialogue on a four part series called: “Sport is Life.” In this series we will examine the similarities between sport and our daily work life employing the principles of Focus, Preparation, Discipline and Tenacity. I welcome your comments and input since we all have different thoughts and beliefs.  This one will definitely be worth your read time – 

As my former coach and current mentor the great Lou Holtz once said, “Life’s about wins, losses and more importantly…lessons.”

I hope you will join me on this journey!

O


No comments:

Post a Comment