Follow by Email

Monday, August 20, 2012

"Defining Your Cool..."


Family –

I had the opportunity to spend some time with some very intelligent, well-spoken young men on my radio show last Sunday. Malcolm Johnson and Bobby Brown lit it up on the “Ask Oscar” show with an intelligence and awareness of self that, in my opinion, has been missing from the many episodes before. One of the most profound things that came from the conversation was the quote from Bobby Brown: “You have to define your cool.”  
Huh??
As I listened I thought… “What the…?” That must be some Bob Davies' bullshit...right? But as he further explained my thoughts continued to turn inward as I began to immediately self-reflect.
In all honesty, I was caught off guard by his response to my question regarding what he would say to an aspiring student-athlete about having success on the collegiate level. I guess I was looking for the traditional canned answer of staying focused and always being prepared, etc. – which is usually what that type of question calls for.
As I started to dissect his answer, I began to self-reflect on what my own “cool” would be. Wow!  I realized that even now, with the accomplishments, successes, failures, poor decisions and life experiences that I’ve had in my forty years, I still have yet to “define my cool.” Admittedly, I panicked a bit, but in the same vein an air of excitement was born from the panic. “This means I have the opportunity to grow,” I said to myself. Now I could finally, take the necessary steps to become a real, live human being!
Wait….not to get ahead of myself. To all those people I've offended and acted like a complete ass to – “I apologize” – to all those relationships I've taken for granted that had someone’s heart attached to it –“I apologize” – to my teammates (especially those at Notre Dame) and friends whom I took advantage of, while not even knowing I was doing so – “I apologize.” I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.
We’ve all heard it said that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem… I submit to you family, that the first step is admitting your wrong doing and asking forgiveness. I have a long way to go before I can define my "cool…." but thanks to my Notre Dame Football Family, I now know that’s what was missing in my life.
Guess there’s nothin’ like family right?
Go Irish… Forever... I'm off to define "my cool."





No comments:

Post a Comment