Follow by Email

Monday, June 25, 2012

Responsibility...Take It or Leave It?

What's good everyone?!

I thought I would take a moment to jot down a few personal thoughts about: Responsibility.

We usually equate responsibility with a job (i.e. "I'm responsible for X at my job.") Sometimes we equate responsibility with our families in that we're "responsible" for providing as adults and parents for our children. We may even be responsible in how we manage our finances and relationships with others.

Today, I want to explore another direction within the framework of responsibility's definition - and that is... simply taking responsiblity for ourselves.

Taaa-Daah!

Taking responsibility for ourselves may be the one thing that is most difficult about being an adult. Of course when things are great and everyone is lovingly smiling at you it can be awesome...but what about standing up when things aren't great... when they're dark and ugly? I mean the very thought of "taking responsibility" for something that's gone wrong connotes a type of punishment or as we hear incessantly -the "karma's a bitch" thought process.

Let me be the first to tell you, I've had some great moments and I've had some dark moments that I'm none too proud of.  From legal issues to moral issues I've had it all in my 40 years. I'm sure you've had some moments like that too...maybe you feel as if you've let someone down or hurt someone so badly, but there's no way to take it back... yup, been there too. The immediate reaction is to grab the proverbial bat and begin to bash ourselves over the head with it... so much so that we work ourselves into a frenzied mess of mis-managed emotions. Ugh... not a good place to be, right?

Hey - people screw up! We sometimes make bad decisions...in fact sometimes things are just downright, god-awful... in these times I remember my Big Nana saying, "Baby, you're just standing too close to the mirror."

Say wha?

I didn't really understand it back in the day, but now that I'm older and have a few more life experiences under my belt I get it. She was simply saying if we stand really close to a mirror we see all the imperfections and blemishes... no one can ever be harder on us than we are on ourselves. But when we stand back and take a look at the entire picture...hmmmm... not too bad... guest I can put the bat away.

You may agree or you may think I'm completely off base as I've said before these are merely my thoughts and opinions... but the one thing we can agree on is that we ALL at some point have "stood too close to the mirror."

O





No comments:

Post a Comment